Thursday, June 16, 2005

you can't always get what you want

But if you try sometimes...

I got good and sick of moping around in front of my computer, and decided to see what I could scrounge up to do on a grey Thursday night. Craig's list turned out to be one stop shopping; in less than a minute, I discovered that I could play kickball in Somerville, take a free Judo lesson right in my own neighborhood, or play ultimate frisbee tonight - and that's just from today's postings.

I gave the kickball team a try (anything as wonderfully absurd as adults playing kickball in an organized way is something I have to do at least once), but left early on account of the cold weather. The people were friendly, and even though I may never do it again, it was a refreshingly new and fun way to spend an otherwise humdrum weeknight.

It's nice to know that it's so easy to find stuff to do alone in Boston; a common theme on this blog is how isolated it can feel living in lovely Roslindale. But it only took me a half hour to get to Union Square (where the kickball happened) from work this evening; a half hour that I otherwise would have spent obsessively hitting the "random page" button on Wikipedia (which I kind of view as my own personal information slot machine). I just need to remember to do it - to get off my duff and go try new stuff. Even if I try a whole bunch of things only once, it's still a way to get out of the house and meet new people. After all, in a city of 600,000 souls, there's gotta be something interesting going on out there any given day of the week. All I have to do is find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home